COVID 19 - Medical School / Health Professions 2021 Application Cycle
Medical School and Health Professions programs plan to open their 2021 application cycle as scheduled, however, many schools are making adjustments to their process.
Below is information to assist those students who planned to apply to medical and health professions programs this application cycle.
Health Professions COVID-19 Related Links and Information - Links to COVID-19 information of 13 health professions programs.
All April MCAT exam dates have been cancelled globally. Effective April 1, if your test date has been cancelled, all rescheduling fees will be automatically waived until further notice, regardless of exam date; you can keep your exam on hold until May 31; or you can cancel with a refund. AAMC will email you if your test date has been cancelled with these and other specifics. For all details consult the AAMC Coronavirus (COVID-19) and The MCAT Exam FAQ
Medical School Application
Students should still plan to submit their primary application as early in the application cycle as possible. Applications for osteopathic medical schools can be submitted in early May and allopathic medical school early June. You do not have to wait until you take the MCAT or receive your scores to submit your application. Many medical schools intend to adapt their application review process to mitigate the obstacles created by the COVID 19 pandemic and will begin to review applications and in some cases interview candidates before they recieve MCAT scores.
Medical school admission committees will take into consideration the affect COVID 19 has had on this year’s applicants. AAMC announced the following efforts:
1. Additional MCAT dates are being planned and information on the new dates will be released as soon as possible
2. There is an effort to expedite the release of MCAT scores, so score reports can be sent to medical schools quicker
Updated Medical School Admission Information
Visit the AAMC and ACOM websites frequently to get updated 2021 Medical School Admissions Application information.
AAMC- As of April 8 AAMC will include basic information about individual M.D. schools policies about grade options and MCAT timing in the MSAR; and will encourage individual M.D. schools to include a question on their secondary applications where applicants can provide context about the impact COVID-19 may have had on them.
AACOM- As of April 8 26 of the 36 D.O. programs have provided information about grade options and MCAT timing here: https://choosedo.org/coronavirus/
- Many schools have listed their plans on their websites- some more flexible, others, less so. As of early April, AAMC has indicated they are encouraging individual schools to provide information about their grading and MCAT policies in the MSAR, and to add a COVID-19 question on their secondary applications
Application Cycle Webinar
AAMC Navigating the 2021 AMCAS Application Cycle for Applicants - April 21, 2020, 2pm ET
ADDITIONAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL PROGRAMS COVID-19 UPDATES
- For Dental School Information - ADEA
- For Veterinary School Information - AAVMC
- For Physical Therapy - PTCAS
- For Physician Assistant - CASPA
- ASCO- As of March 23 Optometry schools are approaching the application process individually and with guidance from state governments.
- AACP- As of March 23 the Association of Podiatry schools has stated that its 9 institutions would accept online and Pass/Fail grading for spring 2020 courses.
PRE-MED / HEALTH PROFESSIONS ADVISING
Students can schedule a virtual Pre-Med / Health Professions advising appointment through Handshake